This blog is a place to archive project processes and techniques from Painted Threads with descriptions of how work was produced. I am including comments that contain questions and answers pertaining to the work from many of the original blog posts.

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Fiesta Ornaments

Now that you have all rushed out to pick up your copies of Quilting Arts gifts, I can show you all the ornaments that I made that did not fit in the magazine.

These were so fun to make. I made 19 while I was designing them to be used with the article, I kept getting more ideas I wanted to try. The nice thing about this project is that even the really simple designs like the square, star and heart look nice. You don't have to be a skilled painter to make a fancy looking ornament.


I think these can go beyond holiday decorations and be ornaments to hang on the wall year round. But they do look awfully pretty on the tree reflecting the colored lights.
These ones have little doors that are folded open.
Some of you may be worried about sewing metal on your sewing machine, but I can assure you, this is easier on your sewing machine than sewing through a couple layers of denim jeans material. This is pewter craft metal, it is very soft. These are cut with an x-acto knife and decorative craft scissors made for paper.

If you want to make these you can find the directions in the 2007 Quilting Arts Gifts issue. There will also be a segment on Quilting Arts TV in the 3rd or 4th seasons episodes demonstrating them.

I am working on a new batch of Fiesta Ornaments for Open Studios. The painting takes a long time (especially when talking to people) so I am getting a few ready ahead of time.
The sewing and embossing is much faster, so I want to have plenty of ornaments ready to do the final metal work.
These ones are ready for quilting, trimming and edge stitching.

These are now ready to have the pewter metal stitched to them.
During open studios I sewed the metal on several ornaments, I have been slowly finishing the rest up.This heart ornament is the one I made for the Quilting Arts TV segment. So there will be a pattern and directions on the website when ever the episode is released.
These are 3 1/2 inches square.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape